Oil on original canvas
73,5 x 59 cm / 28,9 x 23,2 in
Monogrammed lower left in yellow above the table : CA 1908 and monogrammed and dated lower right : CA 08
This work is recorded under the n°1908.43 in the online Catalogue Raisonné of Cuno Amiet's paintings under the direction of Mr. Franz Müller.
Solothurn 1868 - Oschwand 1961
Painter, illustrator, sculptor and graphic artist, Cuno Amiet is a pioneer of modern painting in Switzerland. From 1884, he worked alongside the painter Frank Buchser before studying at the Academy of Fine Arts in Munich where he became friends with Giovanni Giacometti. Together, they studied at the Julian Academy in Paris from 1889 to 1892 and then Cuno Amiet decided to join Pont-Aven in Brittany where he would stay for a year.
There he met post-impressionist artists such as Paul Gauguin, Emile Bernard and Paul Sérusier and also discovered the works of cézanne and Van Gogh. After he moved back to Switzerland in 1893, marked by these various influences, he opened his studio.
Gradualy developing his own syle, the artist presented his first solo exhibition in 1905 at the Künstlerhaus in Zurich and attracted the attention of German exprssionists such as Ernst Ludwig Kirchner and Karl Schmidt-Rottluff, members of the Die Brücke group, of which Cuno Amiet was part until its dissolution in 1913.
During his life, Cuno Amiet painted more than 4,000 works. Mainly known for his landscapes with bright colours and expressionist brushstrokes, his work became more abstract later in his carrer and he became interested in the study of space and light.
He also began experimenting with sculpture in the 1920s, by making busts in bronze and marble.
Today, his works can be found in major institutions around the worldn including the Musée d'Orsay in Paris, The Cleveland Museum of Art and the KunstMuseum in Basel, Switzerland.