Watercolor on paper
51 x 40 cm
Signed and dated lower left : Jean Dufy 1920
Certificate of authenticity issed by Mr. Jacques Bailly dated November 5th 2018.
Le Havre 1888 - Boussay 1964
Jean Dufy was born in 1888 in Le Havre and moved to Paris in 1912. He was soon introduced to Derain, Braque, Picasso and Apollinaire.
In 1914, he exhibited a first series of watercolors at the Berthe Weill Gallery. His brother, Raoul Dufy introduced him to Cézanne's work and his paintings were inspired by the hatches of the Cubist precursor. In 1916, exempted from the Great War, he started to produce decors for the Limoges porcelain and would continue for 30 years.
From 1920, he regularly exhibited at the Salon d'Automne at the Grand Palais and at the Bing Gallery and also at Balzax Galleries and Perls Galleries in New York. He moved to Montmartre and participated in the aesthetic emulation of the time of which Braque was the leader. He met the great musicians of his time including Erik Satie and Arthur Honegger. His paintings were thus deeply marked by analogies to modern musics as we can also see in his depictions of the Fratellini brothers. The circus fascinated Jean Dufy, a theme that allowed him to live painting in a accoustic way. Indeed, he mixed colors with particular sounds and composed his works like symphonies.
Since his death, Jean Dufy is exhibited at the Art Institute of Chicago, at the MoMA in New York and at the Centre Pompidou in Paris.