Oil on canvas
48,5 x 60 cm / 19 x 23,6 in
Signed lower right: Henri Moret ; Lomener
Certificate of authenticity issued by Mr Philippe Jamault, July 30th, 2001. Certificate of authenticity issued by Mr Jean Yves Rolland, March 7th, 2009.
Françoise-Laurent Guignard Collection, France, 2001.
This work will be included in the Catalogue Raisonné de l'oeuvre peint d'Henry Moret being prepared by Mr Yves Rolland.
Cherbourg 1856 - Paris 1913
Henry Moret first studied art in his native Brittany. He later attended Paris's École des Beaux-Arts and Académie Julian.
In 1888, settled in Pont-Aven, Henry Moret met Paul Gauguin. Linked to the Pont-Aven school, Henry Moret depicted scenes set in French Brittany. He used a synthetic aesthetic; flat areas of colour, bold outlines and limited details. When Gauguin left Pont-Aven, Moret started producing paintings showing a more personal style.
In 1895, he became friend with the art dealer Paul Durand-Ruel who started buying his paintings and dedicated an exhibition to him in 1898. Thanks to Paul Durand-Ruel's network, Henry Moret's artworks have been sold in Paris, London or even New York. At this time, his production showed an Impressionist touch.
Nowadays, his work can be admired at Brest's or Pont-Aven's Musée des Beaux-Arts or Boston's Museum of Fine Arts.