Bronze with brown patina
28 x 30,4 x 35 cm / 11 x 11,9 x 13,7 in
Signed : R. Bugatti, stamp of the founder : A.A. Hébrard and numbered : 3/3 on the base
Dr. Paul A. Renaud former collection.
Sale, Paul Renaud, Geneva, 17 - 20 November 1948, n°210.
Private Collection, Switzerland.
Rembrandt Bugatti : The sculptor 1884 - 1916, Berlin, Nationalgalerie, Staatliche Museen zu Berlin, 28 March - 27 July 2014.
Jacques-Chalom Des Cordes, Véronique Fromanger Des Cordes, Rembrandt Bugatti : Catalogue Raisonné, Paris, 1987, other model illustrated p.132.
Véronique Fromanger, Rembrandt Bugatti : Sculpteur, Répertoire monographique, Paris, Editions de l'Amateur, 2009, other model illustrated under the n°142, p.305.
Philipp Demandt, Anke Daemgen, Rembrandt Bugatti : The sculptor 1884 - 1916, Exhibition Catalogue, Hirmer, Berlin, 2014, illustrated in color p.124-125.
Milan 1884 - Paris 1916
Rembrandt Bugatti worked very early with wood and metal and made his first works during family stays in the Italian mountains, modelling with plastiline the animals he crossed, especially cows.
In 1903, his family moved to Paris. This was an opportunity for this animal lover to observe the fauna and flora, the menagerie of the Jardin des Plantes or the horse market. Although he never followed any traditional academic training, Bugatti transcribed animal anatomy into the subject with his own sensitivity and realism, preferring hands-free modelling without any preparatory sketches.
In 1904, Adrien Aurélien Hébrard, founder of the Hébrard foundry, chose the artist's works to inaugurate his Parisian gallery, rue Royale, an exhibition that met with great success with the critics of the time.
From 1906, Rembrandt Bugatti travelled between France, Germany and Belgium, where he visited different national zoos, including the Antwerp one. His sculptural corpus is mainly composed of wild animals: big cats, antelopes, giraffes, bears and rhinos. With Pompon, he is one of the founders of the renewal of animal representation in sculpture.