Oil on original canvas
52,5 x 80 cm / 20,7 x 31,5 in
Signed and dated lower right : A. Laugé 97
Certificate of authenticity issued by Mrs Nicole Tamburini dated March 8th, 2017.
This work will be included in the Catalogue Raisonné de l'oeuvre d'Achille Laugé being prepared by Mrs Nicole Tamburini.
Arzens 1861 - Cailhau 1944
Formed at Toulouse's school of Fine Arts and later at Paris's one by Alexandre Cabanel and Jean-Paul Laurens, Achille Laugé never followed the precepts developed by his teachers. He followed the aesthetic approach advocated by Post Impressionist painters such as Paul Signac or Georges Seurat. As them, he realized paintings in a Neo-Impressionist manner without adopting a radical approach. If he constructed his drawings via small impastos at the beginning of his career, his technique evolved later on. He abandoned after 1896 his Pointillist approach and practiced a crosshatched technique. After 1905, he evolved toward a looser touch with a thicker impasto, which drew him closer to the Impressionist aesthetic of the beginnings.
Throughout his life, Achille Laugé exhibited in Salons - des Indépendants, de Toulouse- and galleries such as Bernheim or Georges Petit. Nowadays, his artworks can be seen in Paris's Musée d'Art Moderne, or at the Musée d'Orsay or Geneva's Petit Palais.