Oil on canvas
54,5 x 65,5 cm / 21,4 x 25,7 in
Signed lower left: B Hoschede Monet
Certificate of authenticity issued by Mr. Philippe Piguet dated February 2nd 2019.
Gift from Blanche Hoschedé-Monet to the family of the former owner.
This work will be included in the forthcoming "Esquisse d'un catalogue raisonné" in "Blanche Hoschedé-Monet, un destin impressionniste" being prepared by Mr Philippe Piguet (reference BHM 54-1).
Paris 1865 - Nice 1947
Blanche Hoschedé-Monet was raised in an artistic environment. Her father, Ernest Hoschedé, was a collector closely linked to the Impressionist movement and to its main figure: Claude Monet. Blanche Hoschedé received her education from Claude Monet and later became his assistant. She married his son, Jean Monet, in 1897.
From Claude Monet's lessons, she retained the topics as well as the approach. In his footsteps she took her easel outdoor and rendered the landscapes of Giverny, or views of Rouen where she lived with her husband. Although painting is only a hobby for Blanche Hoschedé-Monet, her artworks were exhibited various times as in 1931 at the Galerie Bernheim Jeune. When Claude Monet passed away in 1926, she progressively emancipated herself from his transmitted lesson and adopted a more personal approach. The topics broached by Blanche Hoschedé-Monet also varied: still lives made their entrance in her repertory.