Oil on canvas
130 x 162,5 cm / 51,1 x 64 in
Signed and dated lower right: L. Valtat 1901 LV
Dieppe 1869 - Paris 1952
Louis Valtat was born in Normandy in 1869, he is the son of the famous painter François Victor Valtat, who exhibited at the first Salon des Indépendants of 1884.
Two years later, Louis Valtat entered the School of Fine Arts and attended courses at the Julian Academy, where he met the Nabis group, including Edouard Vuillard. After exhibiting at the Salon des Indépendants in 1863, he opened his first workshop in Paris. He exhibited several times at this fair. In 1899, he exhibited with other artists at Paul Durand-Ruel gallery, on the initiative of Paul Signac. There, he met Renoir, who introduced him to Ambroise Vollard who would buy most of his productions.
From 1900, Louis Valtat exhibited across Europe to Russia. In 1905, he participated in the Fauvist exhibition at the Salon d'Automne with Manguin, Matisse, Puy and Derain.
From 1922, Louis Valtat moved to the Vallée de Chevreuse and spent his spare time cultivating his garden. It became his favorite subject. Maximilien Luce visited him and stayed for some time in his home. Fruits, vegetables and garden flowers covered Valtat's paintings, which officially received a growing recognition. During the Occupation, Louis Valtat took refuge in his studio in Paris and kept on painting until 1948 - date of his last works. He died in 1952.